1958 – present
Located on the west side of Tianfu Square, Chengdu Museum is adjacent to the Sichuan Provincial Library, Sichuan Art Museum, Sichuan Science and Technology Museum, and Jincheng Art Palace. The spatial layout of the Tianfu Square Cultural Center has been further improved. “It will be a comprehensive and modern museum, and it will surely be a world-class leading cultural building in China”, said Wang Yi, curator of the Chengdu Museum. He added that the Museum is the largest cultural facility in Chengdu, and its building volume is only inferior to that of the newly-built Sichuan Museum.
On September 15, 2016, the Chengdu Museum was officially opened to the public. Liu Yuzhu, Director of the National Cultural Heritage Administration; Shan Jixiang, Curator of the Palace Museum; Suay Aksoy, President of the International Council of Museums; and Gan Lin, member of the Standing Committee of Sichuan Provincial Party Committee and Head of the Publicity Department of Sichuan Provincial Party Committee, attended the opening ceremony.
In June 2016, new Chengdu Museum began its pilot run for the public.
In January 2010, the project to build a new Chengdu Museum was approved by the Chengdu Municipal Development and Reform Commission, and then all project rounds were officially launched.
In December 2009, the Foundation Stone Laying Ceremony for new Chengdu Museum was held.
In July 2009, the optimized design scheme for constructing new Chengdu Museum was approved by the Chengdu Planning Committee at the sixth Director’s Meeting of 2009.
In May 2008, the winning bid model for new Chengdu Museum was publicized for one month at the Chengdu Planning Exhibition Hall, and received favorable feedback from the public.
In December 2004, Chengdu Municipal Museum moved out of Daci Temple and began handling official business in Qintai Mansion temporarily, to build a database for existing and newly acquired pieces in the collection and create documentation.
On October 1, 1984, Chengdu Municipal Museum was officially opened to the public in Daci Temple, and primarily exhibited A Brief History of Chengdu and Carving Bricks (Stones) of the Han Dynasty in Chengdu.
In the beginning of 1974, Chengdu Municipal Bureau of Culture established the Cultural Relics Administration of Chengdu City in Wenshu Monastery, resuming the work about cultural relics protection and exhibition that the Chengdu Chorographic Museum originally handled.
On September 15, 1958, the Chengdu Municipal People’s Government established the Preparatory Committee of the Chengdu Chorographic Museum, the predecessor of the Chengdu Museum. The director of the Committee was Li Jieren, a famous writer and then deputy mayor of Chengdu. The Museum set up its office in Daci Temple.